Now Accepting Applications For Fall 2017 Start
Obtain your NCLEX-PN Certificaion and earn 30 Technical Credits toward the Associate of Technical Studies (ATS) at The University of Akron.
The W. Howard Nicol School of Practical Nursing, located at Portage Lakes Career Center, has approval from the Ohio Board of Nursing. This eleven month program prepares graduates to take the National Council of State Board of Nursing Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Students are taught by registered nurses with many years of experience.
Clinical experiences are an integral part of the program and are completed at various health care facilities and agencies. Graduates can expect employment at a variety of facilities including: long term care, rehabilitation facilities, home care, physician offices, and outpatient clinics.
The Practical Nursing program is affordable! Not only do we include books, uniforms, and graduation supplies with the tuition, we also pay for the NCLEX-PN licensure exam and application for the Ohio Board of Nursing. Kaplan test prep will be included in the tuition for those students who qualify to sit for the NCLEX-PN exam. The Practical Nursing program has students of all ages and backgrounds. Many use this program as a first step to pursue a professional nursing degree. Class size limited to 50 students.
Class Dates: 08/21/2017 – 07/26/2018
Schedule: Monday – Friday: 8:30AM – 3:30PM
Course Length: 1300 hours
Below is a PDF document containing important program information that we recommend you carefully read in its entirety. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we receive a large number of applicants.
How to Apply
- Apply Online
- Download the Application and mail or deliver in-person to:
PLCC – PN Program
4401 Shriver Road
Uniontown, OH 44685
(* a $100 deposit is required at your scheduled Work Keys assessment)
- Questions? Contact Lori Huber, Practical Nursing Coordinator, at:
330-896-8105 or email@example.com
- All applicants will be required to take the pre-admission Work Keys assessment. Please contact Karen Bailey at 330-896-8102 to schedule the Work Keys assessment.
- Application does not guarantee admission.
Pre-Admission Work Keys Examination Information
The examination used by this school is a standardized test used to measure the applicant’s ability and knowledge of reading for information, mathematics and locating information. It is suggested that applicants review and prepare for the examination. The GED Preparation books and Preparation for Practical Nursing Preadmission Test by Arco are recommended for review. Most of these are available at local libraries or bookstores. Click here to view or download a WorkKeys® preparation guide with sample questions and answers for the Applied Mathematics and Reading for Information sections.The test consists of these three parts:
- READING FOR INFORMATION: The Reading for Information test measures skill in reading and understanding work-related instructions and policies. The reading passages and questions in the assessment are based on the actual demands of the workplace. Passages take the form of memos, bulletins, notices, letters, policy manuals, and governmental regulations.
- MATHEMATICS: The Applied Mathematics test measures skill in applying mathematical reasoning to work-related problems. The test questions require the examinee to set up and solve the types of problems and do the types of calculations that actually occur in the workplace. This test is designed to be taken with a calculator. As on the job, the calculator serves as a tool for problem solving.
- LOCATING INFORMATION: The Locating Information test measures skill in using information presented in workplace graphics such as diagrams, floor plans, tables, forms, graphs, charts, and instrument gauges. Examinees are asked to locate, insert, compare, and summarize information in one graphic or in a group of related graphics. At the highest level, examinees are asked to make decisions and draw conclusions based on information contained in one or more graphics.